Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Behind the Design: Fig. 2 Design Studio

Continuing our pre-coverage of the National Stationery Show, we've peeked behind-the-scenes with new exhibitor Claudia Smith of Fig. 2 Design Studio.


Giftware News: What's the history behind Fig. 2 Design
Claudia Smith: Fig. 2 Design started purely out of coincidence. As a graphic designer, I designed various custom wedding invitations throughout the years. When I left my full-time job at a local design studio to pursue my own clients, I sent an announcement to a bridal boutique here in Washington, D.C. hoping they would simply refer me to their brides. After meeting with the boutique, they asked if I would put together a collection of designs they could carry in their store, and so Fig. 2 was born. 

GWN: This is your first time exhibiting at NSS. What are you hoping to take away from your first show? 
CS: I hope to take away a better understanding of the stationery business. I want to meet new people (both buyers and media), get exposure, and build on the Fig. 2 brand.  

GWN: Why did you decide to exhibit at this year's NSS? 
CS: It was my time. I learned a lot by having my album at the bridal boutique — the pros and cons of certain printing methods, what brides like and dislike, etc. It took a long time to find the right printers as I offer offset and letterpress, but I found excellent, quality printers to work with. 

GWN: What are your future plans for Fig. 2
CS: I focus mainly on wedding invitations but will have some note card sets that will debut at this year's show. I'm eager to learn how the bulk side of the business goes. For next year, I have plans for a baby announcement line.

Photo courtesy Fig. 2 Design Studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment